Duck Print gif


How Old?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sew, I Made a Diaper...

I bought a sewing machine months ago.... having absolutely no experience, I was determined to teach myself.  That all went down the drain when I started sewing practicing stitches.  My machine kept jamming up.  Long story short, because I had no experience I didn't know if it was me or the machine messing up.  This drove me crazy, because I really wanted to sew my own diaper harnesses.  I did a little research two days ago and FINALLY figured out the problem.  Good news is, it wasn't me.  Frustrating news is all it took was a small turn of a screw to tighten the thread tension and I could have been sewing all these months. lol.  So, now, as I'm getting ready to take Donegan on his very first weekend trip this week, I'm in a time crunch to make diaper harnesses.
So I sat down half of the day yesterday and created my very own pattern.  And to my surprise it actually worked!
I knew I wanted shamrocks.  I knew I wanted a fleece breast lining for comfort, stretch, non fray, and easy adjustments for resizing and reshaping.  I knew I wanted a fast drying washable insert that stayed put, a large pouch, and little to no hardware (SIMPLE).  Most importantly, I wanted the tail feathers free and the oil gland exposed and accessible. And there you have it:
(click on pics to make larger)
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

He will be grown out of this one in no time, so I will be back at the sewing machine today.  I'm going to get the pattern on paper and scan it onto a PDF file soon, too, with one or two adjustments.
I gotta say, I'm proud of myself for not only creating a pattern on my own, but that the first pattern worked perfectly, and that this was my very first time sewing ANYTHING.  So now I'm hooked on sewing... and I'm in trouble!  :D UPDATE! Click here for the pattern!!!!

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on learning to sew! I bought a sewing machine and taught myself too. It's fun, but it's waaaay easier to sew miscellaneous stuff like diaper harnesses than actual human clothing. I gave up after trying to alter blouse patterns for my large breasts (they don't really make patterns for I-cups!) but your post has inspired me to start sewing again. I suppose if I can't make human clothes, I could always make duck accessories and still be useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! I did a search yesterday for "EASY patterns". I found a lot of skirts.... I don't wear skirts. So then I thought I could make an apron... but I don't cook much, either. hahaha. I'm a little nervous to dive into that rhelm.... where everything has to line up perfectly and I have to measure myself. :D I can't imagine finding clothes to fit an I! I was an F when I was pregnant and that was hard enough. With that and being over 6 feet tall (I can never find pants) I ran around in man sweats all day. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that you were able to do this yourself! I myself recently bought a mini seeing machine and can't wait to try making my own duck diaper! Only thing holding me back is the pattern!
    I there anyway you would be willing to share your pattern with a fellow indoor duk owner?! The girl who usually makes mine recently had a baby and therefore closed her shop down. :-( you can reach me at lwatts1986@gmail.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a PDF file for the diaper harness!
      http://badduckpun.blogspot.com/2015/01/growing-duckling-diaper-pattern-pdf.html

      Delete
  4. Well hello! I love the pattern of this diaper, not only do the tail feathers still stick out but it covers the whole front, preventin leaks!!
    Anyway I could get the pattern from you? The shop I usually purchase my diapers from shut down and now in out of a duck diaper source :-oyoucan reach me at lwatts1986@gmail.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Gosh, it's been a little while since I made this... I will have to see if I can find the pattern. I think I put it in a PDF file. I will get back to you :)

      Delete
    2. Any chance I could get the pattern, too? None of the diaper places ship to the country i live in. :)

      Delete
    3. Do you have a pattern for the duck harness? I have two very spoiled pekin ducks that was to be able to run around the house! lol

      Delete
  5. Hi Katie
    Did you find the pattern for the diaper yet? I'd be interested in it as well. Would you need my email or can you post it here? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a PDF file for the diaper harness!
      http://badduckpun.blogspot.com/2015/01/growing-duckling-diaper-pattern-pdf.html

      Delete
  6. My wife and I have been looking for a duck diaper pattern for a while. We bought one on-line, but it just doesn't fit properly. I like this design, and would love to get a pattern. If you did one for Katie, could I get a copy? Eli@silvermanfarm.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a PDF file for the diaper harness!
      http://badduckpun.blogspot.com/2015/01/growing-duckling-diaper-pattern-pdf.html

      Delete
  7. I learned to sew from the manual that came with my singer sewing machine. I bought it to do pants length but now can tailor shirts, machine-sew buttons, and many other tailoring operations. Mike P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, so did a pattern ever turn up, because if so I'd love to take a gander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a PDF file for the diaper harness!
      http://badduckpun.blogspot.com/2015/01/growing-duckling-diaper-pattern-pdf.html

      Delete
  9. Hello, all! My apologies for an insanely delayed response. I have been through a move that took months to accomplish. I don't currently have a duck, but that will change soon, I hope. As soon as I unpack the harnesses I made, I will publish a pattern and give you a heads up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a PDF file for the diaper harness!
      http://badduckpun.blogspot.com/2015/01/growing-duckling-diaper-pattern-pdf.html

      Delete
  10. I also have adult harnesses that have worked great. Tail feathers, in, though. May have to make alterations.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!